Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What's that in the diaper?

Well, last Thursday there was a spot of ___ in Eloise's diaper. I thought it was blood. A tiny smear. I saved the diaper and we went to the pedi on Friday. Neither the pedi nor her nurse thought it was blood. They guessed that maybe it was those red crystals that newborns get when dehydrated. Problems with that: 1) she's not a newborn, she's 2.5 months; 2) she nurses all the time; 3) although it's really hot outside, we hadn't been outside. She doesn't have a fever or anything and doesn't act like she's in pain.

The pedi sent us to the hospital lab for a urine test. She "bagged" the baby - this odd little bag that adheres to her crotch to catch the urine. It took E awhile to tinkle, i think she'd just gone. And then the bag leaked. So I keep checking the bag and we're not getting anything, and I'm starting to worry more that my girl isn't peeing until I figured out that while the bag was completely empty, her diaper was soaked. (Ok, I didn't figure this out on my own, my mom suggested checking while I was complaining to her on the phone.) Anyways, getting this simply test done was a 3 hour ordeal.

And the test results say... inconclusive. The pedi said there was bacteria there, but something about it didn't seem right, so we retested today. I kept my eye on the bag, so today went much smoother. So the new test results say... some bacteria, but not as much as the last test showed, and something that she said was a sign of irritation. I don't know what's going on. I guess I won't worry about it unless it happens again. Yeah, that's right, there was only that one tiny smear last Thursday, nothing since then.

Oh, E got weighed on our visit: at 11 weeks, 1 day she weighed 13lb 2oz.

No comments: